Who can contribute to the NIAC Action PAC?
- Per FEC laws, only U.S. citizens and permanent residents who possess a green card can make contributions.
- As a SSF Federal PAC, we may only directly solicit our employees, c4 members and their families for contributions to the PAC.
- We may legally accept unsolicited contributions from those outside of the restricted solicited class, as long as the contributions did not come from any written solicitation.
Are there contribution limits?
- The maximum contribution that can be made by a single individual to the PAC is $5,000 per year.
- The maximum a PAC can contribute to a candidate is $5,000 per election.
- The maximum a PAC can contribute to a national party committee is $15,000 (i.e., the Democratic National Committee) per year and $5,000 per year to state/district/local party committees (i.e., Orange County Republican Committee or the California Democratic Party).
What is the purpose/benefit of the PAC?
- The purpose of the PAC is to raise money from supporters that want to see NIAC Actions advocacy goals advanced by those running for office. By law, political action committees (PACs) can raise and spend funds to help elect or defeat candidates running for local, state, or federal office. PACs can contribute up to $5,000 to a candidate committee per election, up to $15,000 annually to any national party committee, and $5,000 annually to any other PAC.
- While FEC laws limit individual giving to a candidate at $2,700, PACs give donors another opportunity to make a greater impact. By banding together to support NIAC Actions PAC, we are able to invest in more candidates supporting the advancement of policies that make sense for foreign policy, trade, human rights, security, and our democratic values.
What is NIAC Action PAC endorsement process?
The NIAC Action Political Finance Committee, Board of Directors, and staff all play a role in the endorsement process, beginning with NIAC Action staff evaluating which races and candidates merit consideration and providing recommended candidates for the Board to vote on whether to endorse. The full guide for the endorsement process can be downloaded here. Considered candidates generally fall under the following categories:
- State/Local Candidates – In order to foster a new generation of Iranian-American civic and political leadership, NIAC Action works to identify, encourage, and support Iranian Americans who share our values and are qualified to serve in state and local office.
- Federal Congressional Candidates – Electing Iranian Americans and allies to federal office is crucial to achieving the policy goals of our community. NIAC Action staff evaluates which House or Senate incumbents and challengers are worthy of consideration based on where they stand on issues of importance to our community, whether they have the ability to influence policy or public discourse on these issues, and the size of the Iranian-American population they seek to represent.
- Community-Recommended Candidates – Members of the NIAC Action Board and Political Finance Committee are encouraged to recommend or inquire about candidates for endorsement consideration. NIAC Action staff will conduct a vetting process (described below) for all endorsement requests or inquiries to determine if the candidates’ positions are consistent with the values of our organization and an endorsement would serve our strategic interests.
If you have further questions, please Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.